Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

DIY Bunting

Hello lovelies! 

It has been far too long since I last posted and I apologise for that but I have been so busy and haven't had a clue about what to post...until now!

Today I thought I'd do a completely different post for you! At the moment, I'm on my summer holidays and hence, have a lot of time on my hands; so I decided to make some room decorations as my room is in desperate need of some homemade touches. 



Pre-warning: These are not the most professional bunting flags, but I made them how I wanted them! 

You will need:


Scissors, Fabric, String (whatever length you would like, Pen/Marker, Sellotape,Paintbrush (optional), Acrylic Paint (optional), Cardboard template, newspaper and water!

Method!

Step 1: Make your cardboard template!
             
You can make you cardboard template by drawing any size triangle you like and cut it out! I used a cereal box for my cardboard template.


Step 2: Draw your triangle on to the fabric!



Place your cardboard template on to your fabric and then use your marker/pen to draw around the outside of your cardboard triangle template. 


Step 3: Cut out the triangle!


 Use your scissors to cut out the triangle you have just draw on your fabric.


Step 4: Repeat! 

Repeat this step until you have enough triangles for your string (you decided how long you want your string) 


Step 5:  Cut out circles on your template. If you don't want to paint polka dots on your flags, then skip steps 5 and 6.


Firstly draw around something circular, perhaps a glue-stick lid and then, using scissors, cut out the circles!


Step 6: Paint your polka dots! 


Using an acrylic paint of your choice (fabric paint would be better) paint your polka dots onto the fabric using a paintbrush. I used acrylic because I know it dries fast and it doesn't come off easily. 

Step 7: Attach the flags to the string


If you wanted to do this properly, you would use ribbon and a sewing machine except,I don't like sewing machines hence why I did it the cheap-skate way! So, after the paint dries, turn over the flag and then attach it to the string using sellotape! I left several inches between the start of the string and the flag and then two inches between each flag. 


Voila!! 


 I hope you guys liked this post as I had a lot of fun doing DIY! If you want more of these homemade things, then please leave a comment below! If you actually make these, send me a picture!! Either by e-mail, twitter or under the tumblr tag #collarsandchocolates. I'd love to know that I'd inspired you to do this.

Thank you guys for reading! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment