Pages

Saturday 2 February 2013

London!

Sorry I haven't posted in a really long time! I've been extremely busy and lots of things are going on in my life right now.

Recently I visited one of my favourite cities (London). During my visit, I visited one of the best buildings which is old but very beautiful, this was St. Paul's Cathedral. Being an 'arty' person I found the characteristics of the building mesmerising; you wouldn't think that a building so beautiful could've been designed and built in the 17th Century!

St Paul's Cathedral in London!

Because I love this building, I thought I would share some facts about it with you!
  1. The architect of this fabulous building was Sir Christopher Wren.
  2. It was built during the scheme to rebuild London after the Great Fire of London.
  3. The style of the building is English Baroque.
  4. The dome (shown above) is actually the back of the Cathedral and is 85m tall!
  5. It has been dominating London's skyline for 300 years.
  6. The cathedral was targeted during the Blitz and was struck by bombs on 10th October 1940 and 17th April 1941. Another bomb was diffused but if it had gone off, it would have blown the cathedral to pieces.
Hopefully, I'll post another blog post soon



No comments:

Post a Comment